Teams are selected by the Team secretary and club captains working together as a collaborative group. The overall aim of the club is to provide fair playing opportunities for all members taking into account availability, ability, and competitiveness. The selection committee will adhere this overall aim and the principles below when selecting sides; exceptions will be reported to the Head of Cricket as and when necessary.
Mission statement of each team
1st XI: to play as high a standard as possible within the Saracens Hertfordshire Premier Cricket League structure. Therefore, the emphasis of selection will be on results and all decisions will be made in search of victory.
2nd XI: to play as high a standard as possible within Saracens Hertfordshire Premier Cricket League structure and to provide support to the 1st XI in allowing individuals to find form and in developing players to be ready for 1st XI cricket.
3rd XI: to develop new and younger players; to integrate junior members into senior cricket; to provide support to the 2nd and 1st XIs. Focus will very much be on developing individuals; however, we seek to be playing as high a level of 3rd team cricket in the Saracens Hertfordshire Premier Cricket League structure as possible to minimise the gap between 3rd and 2nd XI.
Sunday League XI: to create a competitive and friendly environment of cricket in the Chess Valley Cricket League.
Sunday Friendly XI: to play social cricket against like-minded opposition and to provide a suitable playing opportunity for new and existing adult players, and junior members who are not yet ready for Saturday league cricket.
Operation of this policy
· In the case of any disputes amongst the selection committee, the Team Secretary is the final arbiter.
· Players who are concerned about their playing opportunities or the application of this policy are encouraged to speak to the Team Secretary or Head of Cricket.
Eligibility for selection
· Players who are in arrears with their club membership fees will be considered ineligible for selection without exception permitted by Rachel Mannering (Treasurer).
· Players under club or league disciplinary action will be considered ineligible for selection without exception.
· Players are expected to make themselves available using the club website by 12pm on Tuesday, ahead of that weekend’s games, at the latest.
· Players who confirm their availability by the cut-off are available for selection and should be selected to an XI, space permitting.
· Players who fail to confirm their availability by the cut-off above are to be considered ineligible for selection and cannot be selected nor can a place be held open in the expectation that their availability will be confirmed at a later date.
· Players who do become available after the cut-off above, can only be added where a gap already exists. A playing vacancy cannot be created by moving confirmed selections around or by dropping a confirmed selection (i.e. the selection exercise cannot be repeated to fit a late availability into a preferred XI) without explicit agreement by the Head of Cricket and players who might be moved.
· Once a teamsheet has been posted, players have until 7pm on Thursday to confirm their selection using the club website. If a player has not confirmed by close of play on Thursday, their position in the side will be offered to another available playing member.
Principles of selection
· Sides are to be selected as informed by the mission statements above.
· Selection shall be governed by the relevant eligibility rules above.
· Players are not guaranteed selection for specific or all games for any team.
- If a player is unhappy with the team they are selected in, the hold the right to make themselves unavailable before 7pm on Thursday.
· The selection committee should aim to select balanced sides that provide both a suitable playing environment and opportunity for the selected players and enable a competitive side to be fielded. To that end;
1. The selection committee will ensure that players are not routinely provided with unreasonable playing opportunities (for example, repeatedly picking a player only as a fielder).
2. The selection committee will ensure that sides are not unbalanced by ensuring that specialist players are distributed fairly (for example, opening batsman, spin bowlers, and specialist wicket keepers).
3. The selection committee will ensure that junior players are appropriately selected to play in a senior side; the opportunity provided should be commensurate with the junior player’s ability and confidence and should allow the player an opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of their cricket.
· Selection may be influenced by knowledge of the opposition, knowledge of the ground conditions and the expected weather on the match day
· In instances where availability outstrips opportunity, the selection committee can consider the mission statements, as above, attendance at training, regular availability, and recent form as reasonable grounds for finalising selection.
· Players who have not been selected should be informed by their regular Captain, in advance of publication of the sides on the club website, the reason for their non-selection. However, the player should also be asked to remain on standby in case of dropouts occurring during the week
· Players who are being promoted to a higher XI, or are being demoted to a lower XI, should only go up or down one team unless there are exceptional circumstances. The player’s regular Captain should communicate to such a player, in advance of publication of the sides on the club website, the reasons for this change.
· Players who refuse to play for a specific side, without a reasonable basis, are to be reported to the Head of Cricket and are to be considered unavailable for future selection until otherwise confirmed by the Head of Cricket.
· Captains should stay within their teams all season unless there are exceptional circumstances.
 If the relevant Captain is unavailable, the Team Secretary should assume responsibility for this conversation.